Psychoeducational Assessment

Psychoeducational Assessment (Burnaby, Vancouver)

Dr. Jim Roche is a Registered (BC) and Licensed (CA, WA, NY) Psychologist specializing in treating ADHD, autism spectrum disorder, Aspergers disorder in children, adolescents and adults, learning disabilities, behavioral disorders and severe mental health issues. He also provides mental health assessments and individual, couple and marriage therapy. You can find more information about his practice at the websites below:

At Psychology Today:
At Psyris:
At Autism Community Training:

Key Words
ADHD | ADHD coaching | workplace coaching | Anxiety and Stress | Autism and Asperger's Disorder | Individual Counselling | Child Therapy | Testing and Assessments and Learning Disabilities | Couples Counselling | Depression | The Angry Child | Anger Management | Pain Management and PTSD | Forensic Services | Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder | Vancouver | Burnaby | Coquitlam | New Westminster | Maple Ridge | Port Moody | Child Psychologist | Psychologist | Learning Disability | Assessment | Testing | Psycho-educational Assessment | Neuropsychological Assessment | Psychoeducational Testing

Salish Court at Bell (google map) (yahoo map)

Learning Styles Don't Exist

Again, I find myself confronted by a teacher who talks..and talks..and talks about "learning styles." Learning styles are the ONLY issue she is willing to discuss when it comes to providing supports for a student with a specific learning disability and ADHD that I have diagnosed and provided a psychoeducational assessment for. What we need are classroom modifications and a simple reinforcement system, things that we have used in classrooms for years and are backed by science. Why not instead consider the issue of "learning styles?" Watch this video to understand. And if your teacher start talking learning styles...have the teacher watch it!

Autism Spectrum Disorder and Psychoeducational Assessments

I have been asked by several parents about the difference between a psychoeducational assessment and an assessment for autism spectrum disorder (ASD) or Aspeger's Disorder. There is some confusion out there, and several parents have arranged for the wrong kind of assessment in order to obtain the services they need. So I'll try to explain when you need each of these types of assessments: Psychological Assessment, Psychoeducational Assessment and Autism Disorder Assessment very briefly.

An Initial Psychological Assessment
In British Columbia parents are often sent to a registered psychologist by their school or physician when autism is suspected. Initially you should be arranging an appointment to have the psychologist meet you and your child and do a brief psychological assessment. This usually can be done in one session. You may be asked to complete a number of forms, such as the SNAP-4, some behavioural forms, and maybe an adaptive behavioural assessment form (ABAS).  These can sometimes be sent to you before the examination and returned so that the psychologist is ready to meet you. The psychologist will interview you, observe your child and take a comprehensive history. Form this a determination can usually be made about what is the best way to proceed. Often what looks like autism spectrum disorder or Asperger's can be something else, such as ADHD or a developmental disorder. Perhaps anxiety, or a specific learning disability. The psychologist can then help you proceed down the correct path.

A Diagnostic Assessment for Autism
If autism is suspect, or Aspegers Disorder, your psychologist will then proceed to complete a comprehensive assessment for autism spectrum disorder. This includes two critical examinations that are necessary for funding in British Columbia. These are the Autism Diagnositic Rating Scale (ADOS) and the Autism Diagnostic Interview (ADI-R).  There are a number of other autism tests and tools out there, but these are the two that are necessary for funding from the ministry in British Columbia, and for services through any school district. If your child goes to public school in Burnaby, Vancouver, New Westminsiter, Coquitlam...anywhere in the province, the psychologist who completes the assessment must be trained in using these tools and use them for the diagnosis. Nothing else will do. Sometimes parents go to a professional who uses other tools and completes this assessment in another way. If they do the assessment will not qualify, so make sure you see someone who uses these tools for the autism assessment.  These are not the only tools he or she might use, but these are essential. For children under six years old a separate assessment by a speech pathologist and medical doctor need to be part of the process as well. If a full psychoeducational assessment is not being done, usually some sort of intelligence/cognitive testing is necessary to rule out other possible disorders.

The Psychoeducational Assessment
Along with the autism assessment most schools require a comprehensive psychoeducational assessment. This assessment looks at bith intelligence and academic ability. Children from age 3 up can be given a psychoeducational assessment, although in British Columbia schools seem unwilling to assess younger children due to financial constraints. It is best practice and done throughout most of North America, but not common here. The two components of the assessment, the intelligence and academic parts, are then compared and from that information we can make determinations about specific learning disabilities. Most children with ASD have a comorbid learning disorder. Nearly 50% of children with ADHD have a comorbid learning disorder. And without understanding the cognitive strengths and weaknesses of a child it is difficult to develop an Individualized Education Plan.

These are the three main types of assessments children and adolescents go through in order to develop an educational and behavioural plan. You often hear of a neuropsychological exam as well. These are highly specific examinations of brain processes that help with both diagnostic questions and developing education plans. Most of the time a good psychoeducational assessment and autism assessment (if necessary) are enough to move forward with.

Costs? Full psychoeducational exams can cost from $2,200-$3,600 depending on who you see and what tests are completed. Your school can and should be providing this exam for free, however here in BC there are very long waiting lists. An Autism Assessment runs around the same, but the two can often be done together. Again, the Provincial government can provide these services, for free, however there is again a waiting list, and some parents prefer to have an autonomous outside professional see their child rather than the ministry.

I hope this information is valuable. My best advice is to make sure the professional you see is a registered psychologist, that they have experience with children or adolescents, and have experience working with the schools. Understanding the system is as important as understanding the tests.

For information on services that I provide please visit my web page at:
I provide autism and Aspergers assessments not only for children and adolescents, but for adults as well.

Psychoeducational Assessments, ADHD and Autism

After a few weeks away from the office things are back to usual ...almost. Office hours are available in both the Burnaby and Vancouver locations for assessments, including Psychoeducational assessments, neuropsychological assessments, diagnostic assessments for both Autism Spectrum Disorder and Aspergers Disorder (which meet the Ministery requirements in British Columbia for private assessments of ASD) and related diagnostic work. Please feel free to contact the office, however the schedule is still rather full and it can often take until the weekend before youer call is answered. An initial contact through email is welcome at, however if you do contact the office through email please do not include any personal information you would not want shared. People make mistakes emailing, sometimes emailing to the wrong address, so make a more general inquiry first.

A number of people want to kniow how quickly a psychoeducational assessment can be completed. Usually it takes 2 days of face to face testing with the student. There are additional items to be completed, however those can often be done on line or at home. So, two days of actual testing. Usually 3-4 hours each day. The report is usually done within the next ten days. This is a much shorter time than you will find elsewhere.  Appointments can usually be made within the next 2-3 weeks.

Costs of psychoeducational assessments average around $2,400.00, but can be more if additional testing needs to be donne.  Payments are usually made as follows: Payment for the three  hours of testing time scheduled is made before an appointment for the assessment can be made. Cancellations must be made 72 hours in advance, as a large block of time is scheduled. At the initial session 50% of the fee is due, and at the time you recieve the report the remaining 50% is due. Payments can be made in the office by Mastercard or VisISA, or on line using other credit cards or a back card. Checks are also accepted.

Assessments for Autism Spectrun Disorder. The cost of an ASD asseswsment ranges from $2,600.00 to $3,200. The final cost is dependant upon what the assessment calls for. Some children need both an ASD assessment for diagnosis (using the ADOS and ADI-R) AND a Psychoeducational Assessment in order for the school to set up an appropriate Individual Education Plan. You need a Psychoeducational Assessment before an IEP can be completed. Sometimes the school can or already has provided that service. With younger children a medical doctor's report and a report from a Speech and Language Pathologist  must be part of the assessment to meet the needs of the Ministry. Those are obtained seperately and are then used as part of the final process by the psychologist.

Getting an assessment does not automatically lead to a diagnosis of ASD, nor does it automatically lead to Ministry funding. Just as getting a Psychoeducational Assessment does not necessarily lead to an IEP or services from the schools.

Finally, often parents and adults are seen for ADHD (Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder) assessments. These vary in cost, as they may include a psychoeducational assessment, or may not. These are arranged individually.

If you are exprecting to use any assessment in a legal situation (often adults with ADHD want an assessment due to work difficulties) the assessment process is different. It requires using different tools, and gathering additional information. You need to be clear on the purpose of the assessment from the start.

I aklways suggest that parents write out what they want an assessment to do. What should it provide? Assessments are always done in order to answer a question. "Why doesn't John read as well as he thinks?"  "Why can't Nancy write? She reads above grade level but can't seem to write out answers to questions?" It's always good to spend time thinking out these questions.

ADHD assessment and treatment also need to address specific deficits and needs. An assessment is much better at answering how best to reach a goal, rather than asking what goals should we have.

Dr. Jasmes Roche

Offices in Burnaby and Vancouver

Psychoeducational Assessments and ADHD

Does a Psychoeducational Assessment also diagnose ADHD?
Psychoeducational Assessments are usually completed by your school district. In many provinces and all of the United States school districts provide timely psychoeducational assessments upon a reasonable request from a parent or teacher (with the parent's permission). Usually those psychoeducational assessments happen within 50 working days.

Here in British Columbia we have the regrettable problem of poor school funding and staffing. In some school districts children are placed on a waiting list that can last for one, two, three or more years! Many school districts place children on a "waiting list" only to redo the waiting list at the end or every year! So parents often make a choice to go to a registered psychologist to get a psychoeducational assessment.

One of the advantages of a psychoeducational assessment completed by a Registered Psychologist rather than a School Psychologist is that a REgistered Psychologist is authorized to diagnose ADHD (Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder) and a School Psychologist is not. School Psychologists usually only hold an MA or MS degree, not a doctoral degree, and are not a "regulated profession" in BC. You should know, however, that many School Psychologists who are completing psychoeducational assessments for learning disabilities and behavioural issues are actually Registered Psychologists who have chosen to specialize in school based psychology. So, they may or may not be able to diagnose ADHD. Adding to the confusion is the fact that many school districts have rules that limit what school psychologists do, and some districts do not allow even their Registered Psychologists to make a diagnosis of ADHD (Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder) or other related childhood disorders such as Autism Spectrum Disorder or Aspgerger's Syndrome.

Another important factor to consider is that when a child is diagnosed with ADHD it is often critical to complete a Psychoeducational Assessment, as nearly 50% of children with ADHD also have another disorder, often a specific learning disability. A Registered Psychologist or your School Psychologist can complete that assessment.

When is the best time to get a Psychoeducational Assessment?
It is appropriate to get a psychoeducational assessment whenever a child has had repeated academic failures, and classroom based interventions have failed. Waiting more than a year of academic failure places your child in a difficult position to get out of. This is especially true of children in grade 3-4, when the classroom curriculum begins to change and become much more difficult. A lack of strong basic skills can make academic work very difficult if not impossible for some children.

Does a Psychoeducational Assessment also address behaviour problems? 
Usually a Psychoeducational Assessment does look at behavioural problems. First, it's often necessary to rule out that the behavioural issues are not caused by academic deficits. Second, schools are able to complete not just a Psychoeducational Assessment but also a Functional Behavioural Analysis (FBA) to understand the reasons for the child's behaviour. Most school districts have someone trained in completing FBA's. Again, while all schools in a state like California would be required by law to provide FBA's, and to have them completed by a fully and appropriately trained specialist, this is often not the case here in British Columbia.

If the school is going to provide an FBA you should ask what training, expertise and experience the provider has (how many FBAs have they completed? What training did they get? How many hours of training? How much of it, if any, was supervised by an expert in behaviour? These are good questions to ask.

Finally, remember, your medical doctor can usually make a diagnosis of ADHD. If they feel unsure, they can make a referral to someone else. But a diagnosis of ADHD leaves out a lot. It's best practice to also complete, at least for children, a Psychoeducational Assessment. Your family MD is covered by MSP, however services by a Registered Psychologist, even though they are a regulated health provider, are not covered by MSP. Most extended health care programs cover some or all of these costs, but you need to check with your individual provider before having a Psychoeducational Assessment done. Some providers will not cover the cost of an assessment.

 Dr. Jim Roche provides both Psychoeducational Assessments and ADHD Assessments, as well as treatment and coaching for children, adolescents and adults with ADHD, behavioural disorders and autism spectrum disorder. His website can be found at:

ADHD Services for Children, Adolescents, Adults and Families

How can I help you? If you or your child have ADHD (Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder - or ADD) I provide a number of services that can be of help to you, your child or your relationship. For over the past 25 years I have worked with children with ADHD, adolescents with ADHD, adults with ADHD and families dealing with ADHD. Unlike many other "counsellors" and "coaches" who work with individuals with ADHD but have never worked in a school, work or family setting, I bring nearly three decades of experience working with individuals in the schools - as a classroom teacher with students having behavioural and academic problems due to ADHD, in the workplace, as a rehabilitation and community based neuropsychologist with adults returning to work with ADHD and related issues of impulsivity and concentration due to head injuries, and as a registered marriage and family therapist and clinical member of AAMFT (American Association of Marriage and Family Therapy). Because of my classroom experience as a teacher (and licensed school psychologist) I understand how teachers can implement classroom based interventions to help a child or adolescent with ADHD, and understand the interaction between ADHD and Specific Learning Disabilities (my offices located in both Burnaby and Vancouver) offer not only psychological assessments for ADHD but also full psychoeducational assessments for the diagnosis of learning disabilities and other co-morbid disorders often found with ADHD. Often this includes school based observations and consultation with the teaching/school staff. I have offered teacher workshops on ADHD throughout British Columbia, California and New York State. I also offer parent training and education programs which focus on teaching parents and other caregivers specific skills to help them teach their child with ADHD necessary behaviours and skills. I also work with adolescents, young adults and adults in dealing with both workplace problems and relational problems stemming from the symptoms of ADHD. This might include on site observations and consultation, as well as ongoing coaching and skills development. My years as a community based neuropsychologist working with programs such as Gentiva's Rehab Without Walls focusing on helping individuals with focus, concentration and executive skills development after workplace injury or strokes has provided me with specialized and focused skills in this area. Finally, many individuals with ADHD come to see me about issues such as depression, anxiety, stress and relationship (including parenting and marriage) problems. The services of a REgistered Psychologist are not covered in BC under MSP, however many extended health care plans do cover the cost of psychological services, including therapy, counselling, coaching and assessments. Check with your provider. For those with limited funds who do not have medical coverage for ADHD I often try to work with individuals using one of several self-help programs that are science/evidence based. Please feel free to call me and set up an initial consultation. As these consultations last for approximately an hour, there is a cost, however, usually during that hour we are able to establish a good outline of a program for you, based upon your individual needs and abilities. My offices are located near Lougheed Town Center (near Fitness 2000 on Salish Court) and near the Cambie Bridge and City Hall on 8th Ave. More information can be found at my web page at or

ADHD and Executive Function Disorder

Problems with organization, planning, inability to get things done on time or in the right order are often diagnosed as ADHD (Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder), and then again sometimes referred to as EFD (Executive Function Disorder).  The question often comes up: "Aren't these the same thing?"  Well that depend on who you talk to.

You see the terms ADHD and Executive Dysfunction are now often used interchangeably. But that isn't necessarily a good thing because some of the finer points of both disorders get confused. A child, adolescent or adult might have ADHD (or sometimes it's called ADD, a leftover term from the last decade) and have problems with hyperactivity, being inattentive, procrastination, or be highly impulsive. The hyperactivity and impulsivity is common, but not always the case. Some individuals have ADHD without hyperactivity or impulsivity. These individuals have what is more commonly know as "inattentive type" of ADHD. Some may be labeled with "slow cognitive processing," a newer form of the disorder that is being defined by Dr. Russell Barley, a leader in the field. These individuals may not have any of the outward signs of symptoms that parents and teachers associate with ADHD. They don't move around, fidget at their desk, or act impulsively during class blurting out answers or simply talking out loud. Instead they can't seem to stay on-taks, focused and seldom reach a state of task completion. They may also have trouble following what is being said or red because they simply cannot stay focused. A subgroup also has problems with handwriting.

EFD, Executive Function Disorder, is often used to refer to a broader and less focused set of problems which involves a pattern of chronic difficulties with executing every day tasks 

What are Executive Tasks? And do they relate to ADHD?
Executive taks include the ability to understand the whole and analyze a task, being able to plan how you will address a task and get it done, organizing the steps you need to take to carry out a task, developing a time line for task completion and understanding how long and how much energy it will take to complete a task (without this skill we can easily drift off from what should be focused on. The task may appear to have no beginning, middle and end.

Children with EFD have trouble getting assignment handed in, lose them, misplace them, do the wrong assignment, hand in the wrong assignment even when the correct one is done, have trouble organizing materials, including personal items, and can't keep their room, locker or desk clear. 

What is important to note is that one student or adult with ADHD may do very well on medication and with minimal support and coaching. Another with very similar test scores during a psychoeducational assessment may improve, but continue to have problems understanding the materials, organizing them, and perhaps even getting how to find an answer within all the materials in front of them. This student most likely has an EFD and a Learning Disability and needs very different supports and accommodations to support them in the classroom.

EDF can be reflective of ADHD, or it can tell us that there is a more serious Learning Disability present that needs support. Reading, writing and math fluency are often problems for these students, and interventions that support those specific issues need to be implemented. This is why we are often reluctant to provide a quick and simply ADHD diagnosis. (Often, regrettably, family doctors look only for signs of the list of symptoms that match ADHD, they use quick "screeners" like the SNAP-4 and other "symptom lists" and quickly prescribe medicine for what appears to be ADHD. Any student with ADHD should really be assessed for Learning Disabilities, this includes either a full psychoeducational evaluation or a neuropsychological evaluation. When might this not be necessary? Well, I suppose when a student had ADHD but is doing well academically. But even in this situation the difficulty and complexity of the school curriculum changes year after year, and often a student doing well in grade 2-3 suddenly finds failure in grade 4 because tasks that were simple now require Executive Functions far beyond what was previously necessary. Similar curriculum changes happen in the middle school and high school. In high school this can happen due to the very different learning requirements of different subjects now taught in different ways.

Not all professionals and practitioners understand that these same symptoms can bring about a diagnosis of ADHD AND Learning Disabilities based upon deficits in executive functioning. Very few medical doctors are knowledgeable about school based learning issues, and few can perform the necessary assessments.

If you suspect you child has ADHD, or you yourself have ADHD, a psychologist with a background in both ADHD and Education is your best bet. A full and comprehensive evaluation may be more expensive, but it may also be necessary in order to understand the exact nature of your ADHD symptoms and to then develop a logical and focused intervention.


Forn information about my practice serving clients with ADHD in Vancouver, Burnaby, Coquitlam and the surrounding areas please go to my web page at or


KEY WORDS: ADHD, ADD, Vancouver, Burnaby, East Vancouver, West Vancouver, North Vancouver, New Westminster, Coquitlam, Port Moody, Maple ridge, Assessment, Testing, ADHD Coaching

Dyslexia and Orton-Gillingham Training

In another post I will be addressing exactly what "Dyslexia" is and isn't, but here I want to provide a brief description of the major principals underlying the or ton-Gillingham approach to working with children with dyslexia.

First of all, many parents come to me after enrolling their child in a Orton-Gillingham program and they are highly satisfied. Usually there are other issues going on which also need to be addressed, as seldom do we find a singular learning disability without other co-morbid problems. Often these problems involve behaviour, depression, anxiety, neurological disorders, slow processing speed, difficulty with working memory attentional issues. So there is enough for us to deal with, and a good, structured program like Orton-Gillingham is often recommended.

Dyslexia, right now, isn't even diagnosis in the DSM-4 TR (the Diagnostic Manual of the APA which lists all mental disorders). Right now we diagnose a "Disorder of Reading," however, that will be changing in the new addition of the DSM, making the medical diagnosis match the terminology commonly used in schools. At any rate, you should always have your child assessed prior to starting one of these reading support programs. A psychoeducational assessment will help determine the exact nature of the disorder, and needs to be completed to rule out other possible reasons for the reading difficulty. These could include problems visual visual integration, attention, working memory and so on. Don't just start a program until you understand, as best you can, the exact nature of the deficit you will be treating!

The Orton-Gillingham Approach to dyslexia is a flexible program that is adapted to meet individual needs. It provides carefully structured and sequenced instruction in both reading and spelling. It focuses on establishing connections between sounds and letters, and then how to blend the sounds together into a whole word. It also provides structured instruction and practice in how to organize individual letters and sounds into larger units. Finally, it is a "multi sensory: approach as it uses visual, auditory and tactile methods of instruction.

What exactly might be happening when my child see's an Orton-Gillingham instructor?
For younger children:
1. The child is shown a letter and then repeats it's name after the teacher demonstrates it
2. The instructor demonstrates how to form the letter, the child copies over the sample and then writes the letter or word from memory
3. Each phonetic unit is presented on flash cards - consonant soundsand vowel sounds are separated and they are introduced through key words.
4. The letters sounds are taught in groups, and this is done as quickly as possible.
5. After the sounds of letters are taught blending is taught, practiced and practiced again
6. The instructors then introduces words and separates the sounds. The words and sounds are written down and read back and practiced
7. Then as these words are mastered new words and letter sound combinations are taught through exposure, practice and repetition
8. Consonant blends are then added to the list of words and sounds to practice and learn.
9. Reading is practiced with a controlled vocabulary and text.

As you can see this is a highly structured program, step by step, in a specific order using preset materials. This is very different than trying to learn letters, letter sounds and words as they appear in your daily experience of writing. One way is structured and builds upon previous experience, and the other is ... frankly ...all over the place. Often causing repeated failures and distress. Not every child with Dyslexia or reading disabilities fits this program, some object to the structure and repeated practice sessions. Most, however, do fine and show significant improvement.

Are there other programs to help with reading problems, dyslexia and other forms of learning disabilities?
Yes, there are several other programs available, and one issue is that the Orton-Gillingham approach isn't usually found in the school system itself. You might want to look at these alternative programs for students with learning disabilities:

The Barton Reading and Spelling System. This is a one-to-one tutoring system designed to enable parents to teach their child with dyslexia how to read and write. It comes with tutoring DVDsand has ten separate levels of training. This is an evidence-based program for learning disorders, reading disorders and dyslexia.

You can find the website at

The Great Leaps Reading Program
This is another one-to-one tutoring program. One advantage of the Great Leaps program is that it provides enough support that a parent can achieve the same results as a trained teacher using this technique. It uses basic phonics, high frequency word phrases and one minute story reading to achieve reading fluency. It is available for all reading levels, including adults! This program is used in many school districts. Information can be found at

Finally, for small group training, something your school might be interested in, there is The New Herman Method (TNHM). This is a small group method that has been in use by many school districts for over 35 years. It involves 50 minutes each day at school: 25 minutes to teach Reading and Oral Spelling Skills and 25 minutes to teach Handwritting and Written Spelling skills. There is a special two day training session available. Information on this method can be obtained from Sopris West at

You may also be interested in the Wilson Just Words program, a word level intervention programer the Wilson Language Training program, both available through

These are just a few of the programs available. There are at least a dozen other good, solid evidence based curriculum programs, but for parents looking for individualized intervention, or small grip interventions, these may be the best.

For parents seeking an alternative tutorial program other than Orton-Gillingham there is the Lindammod Phoneme Sequencing (LiPS) Program for Reading, Spelling and Speech. Individual practitioners and school instructors make use of these materials, and parent satisfaction is high. Information bout Lindamood-Bell training can be obtained from Pro-Ed, Inc.

For parents who would like to have materials at home that they or a tutor use individually with their child I would contact the Barton Reading and Spelling Program or the Great Leaps Reading Program for information. There are steps you as a parent can take to help your child with dyslexia in the home that are not overly expensive.

I hope this brief overview of dyslexia, reading problems and training programs is a help in starting to understand the complex world of diagnosing and treating reading problems, dyslexia and learning disabilities. If you are interested in information on obtaining a psychological assessment, neuropsychological assessment or psychoeducational assessment please look at the information on my web page at

ADHD Over Diagnosed?

The Canadian Medical Association Journal has scheduled a publication for an upcoming edition entitled: Influence of Relative Age on Diagnosis and Treatment of Attention-Deficit/Hyperactivity Disorder in Children.” As other studies that I have pointed out have shown, there is a problem with the diagnosis of young children with ADHD. There is what is called a “relative age effect.” That is, we have more children (as a percentage to the overall population) diagnosed with ADHD at lower, younger ages. This is measured within each grade, in other words, younger boys or girls in grade k-1-2-3 etc are more likely to be diagnosed with ADHD than are older boys or girls in the same grade. So if your child is born in November or December, the cut off ages for school entry in British Columbia, you are much more likely to end up with a diagnosis of ADHD. So what looks like ADHD, everyone assumes, may really be nothing more than a reflection of a younger age within the classroom. This is usually, some feel, the result of gathering too much information from one source, the school, where the child’s behaviour is not measured against his or her age group, but against his or her class. It’s really an unavoidable problem, but not one that we cannot correct for.
Boys born in December were 30% more likely to receive a diagnosis than those born in January (the oldest boys in the class). These boys were also 41% more likely to get medication than the older boys. As medication can have harmful affects on sleep, appetite and other issues, this should be of concern. What also should be of concern is that teachers making these reports that doctors rely upon to make a diagnosis (usually using a simple procedure called the SNAP-IV) don’t seem to be aware of these normal developmental differences within the class, and seem to fail to program for these with appropriate environmental supports for children with significantly different behaviour patterns based upon natural growth and maturation.
This study seems like a repeat of several completed in the past few years in the United States, and researchers might be using their time and our research money finding ways to compensate for these factors, but that’s my personal complaint about basic research that is often repeated many times for the sake of publication.

What can you do to make sure your child is not misdiagnosed?
First, remember that a younger child, especially in a younger grade, will act in ways that might appear to be reflective of ADHD. You need more than a simple diagnosis based upon a five minute observation and a couple of SNAP-IV forms. Medical doctors often do not have time to spend watching, playing, observing and interviewing as is necessary. You also need some basic data, like the SNAP-IV, but a key to the ADHD diagnosis is ruling out other causes for the behaviours of concern. That means ruling out anxiety, stress, panic, depression, mood disorders and…yes, normal developmental issues. I suggest you schedule an appointment and see a psychologist who is familiar with ADHD, children and classrooms. Being familiar with classroom expectations is critical, as often times misbehaviour is the result of environmental factors.
Most medical and psychological associations, groups and individual practitioners recommend a trail of behavioural therapy and environmental supports to attempt to deal with the behaviours of concern before medication is tried. Several of my recent posts have gone over these guidelines by the leading paediatric organizations. So, you need someone familiar with classroom environments, curriculum and teaching techniques to work with you.
Finally, nearly 50% of all children with ADHD have a comorbid disorder. That is, they have ADHD AND something else. That might include depression, anxiety, stress or any one of multiple learning disorders. If these comorbid disorders are dealt with properly the ADHD symptoms may be significantly reduced. So assessments for these problems should be part of any assessment and intervention for ADHD. Ask your school district of psychologist to conduct a psychoeducational assessment. A psychoeducational assessment will provide the data we need to develop a targeted intervention plan.

For more information on psychoeducational assessments please see my testing page at:

finally, my ADHD pages have a good deal of information to help you understand the assessment process. Assessment for ADHD, and Psychoeducational Assessments are fully explained.

More on ADHD | Autism and Tax Benefits

The link above  leads to some information from CRS that you may want to share with your tax preparer.

Completing your tax return is, at least for me, something I cannot do by myself. It's just too complicated and I always get back more than I spent for the services when the return comes.  Heres what the page says:

"If this is a new application for the disability tax credit (DTC), you have to submit a completed (including Part A) Form T2201, Disability Tax Credit Certificate, certified by a qualified practitioner or your claim will be delayed. We will review your claim before we assess your return to determine if you are eligible for the DTC.

If you were eligible for the DTC for 2010 and you still meet the eligibility requirements for 2011, you can claim the disability amount without sending us a new Form T2201. However, you will have to send us one if the previous period of approval ended before 2011, or if we ask you to do so.

If you were 18 years of age or older at the end of the year, claim $7,341. Otherwise, complete the chart for line 316 on the federal worksheet in the forms book to calculate your claim.

Supplement for persons under 18

If you are eligible for the DTC and were under 18 years of age at the end of the year, you can claim up to an additional $4,282. However, this supplement may be reduced if, in 2011, someone claimed child care expenses (line 214) or attendant care expenses (as a medical expense on line 330 or line 331) for you. It may also be reduced if you claimed attendant care expenses on line 215 or line 330 for yourself. Complete the chart for line 316 on the federal worksheet to calculate your claim."

If you are missing out on a tax refund that you should be getting, you need to check this out. If your child has a disability and has had an appropriate evaluation, for instance a psychoeducational assessment or an assessment for autism, Aspergers or learning disability, you may qualify. Talk to your tax preparer. Show him or her these forms and get the benefits and help you are suppose to get.

CADDAC Recommends Psychoeducational Assessment | Testing for Children with ADHD

For information on Psychoeducational Assessment and Testing I provide in my Burnaby and Vancouver offices please visit my Psychoeducational Testing page at:
CADDAC Recommends Psychoeducational Assessment | Testing for Children with ADHD. Click here for the full information on the CADDAC website:
About Psychoeducational Testing
CADDAC, the Canadian association of medical professionals who focus on the diagnosis and treatment of ADHD. While primarily a medical association, many psychologists in the field of ADHD keep a close eye on what CADDAC recommends, and follow their guidelines. In my own practice I follow their guidelines in terms of comprehensive assessment, rather than brief screening, for ADHD.

One area there has been some controversy in lately has been the need for comprehensive assessment, especial neuropsychological assessment, with adults with ADHD. This issue needs to be kept separate from the issue of children with ADHD, and in several posts I have discussed the issue of Psychoeducational Assessment and ADHD. Nearly 50% of all children with ADHD have one or more co-morbid disorders, and when diagnosing ADHD we need to look carefully at possible depression, anxiety, mood disorders and specific learning disorders. We also need to understand how ADHD is effecting executive function in the child/adolescent. A good psychoeducational assessment does just this.  Here is what CADDAC says on the topic (their web page is found at the ink above):

"It is also recommended that a psychoeducational assessment be done by a psychologist to assess whether other learning disabilities may coexist with ADHD, or may be the actual cause of the symptoms rather than ADHD."

There is no controversy about psychoeducational assessments for children and adolescents. ANY comprehensive assessment includes a psychoeducational assessment. Medical doctors do not provide this service. It can only be provided either through the school district or a registered | licensed psychologist.

CADDAC continues: " A psychoeducational assessment should look at levels of executive functioning (see ADHD information for more information on executive functioning), assess the possibility of a central auditory processing (CAP) disorder, look for graphomotor (printing/writing) difficulty, and evaluate processing speed as well as productivity. It is very important that if there is even the slightest evidence that CAP disorder may be a problem, this should be assessed before the psychoeducational testing occurs. Testing for CAP disorder is done by a specially trained audiologist. Since many of the tests that take place during an educational assessment are auditory-based, they may wrongly indicate that the child or adult has a low IQ if they are used to test a child with CAP disorder. Different tests that are not auditory-based can be used to get a more accurate reading of the person's ability. 

Symptoms of CAP Disorder

  • Problems paying attention to and remembering information presented orally
  • Difficulty with following multiple directions
  • Poor listening skills
  • Slower processing of information
  • Lower academic performance than is expected
  • Difficulty with language, spelling and/or reading skills
  • Problems with frustration and behaviour"
If there is any suspicion of an CAP disorder, take your child to his/her medical doctor and have them assessed. Your medical doctor will then provide a referral if one is necessary. 

"Can a psychologist complete this testing for CAP disorder?" 
You should have your medical doctor request a hearing assessment, including a screening for CAP disorders. Some psychologist perform testing of auditory processing (the testing is called "The Test of Auditory Processing Skills" or TAPS, and other tools are available to psychologists to look at language and processing issues. Not all psychologists have or use these tests, so ask your psychologist if they perform such tests, or if you need a separate referral. IT's really best to start with your medical doctor. 

CADDAC got on to point out: "Unfortunately, psychoeducational testing, if done privately, is not covered by provincial health plans in most cases. Schools may do these tests if they feel that there is a significant problem, however waiting times can be lengthy and time restraints may compromise the thoroughness of the tests."

What does CADDAC mean by "compromises of thoroughness?"  Well, some schools use a limited battery of tests and tools, as they are only focused on issues that relate to classroom issues, and issues of "coding" or funding they may be able to obtain. Some issues that you or I would consider important would not be covered in their exam.  Also, some schools complete initial "screenings" and rule students out because they see no educational "discrepancies,even though a child may be failing academically or socially at school. Many of these compromises are the result of limited funding to our schools, and not choices school psychologists would make themselves. Finally, there is the issue of "diagnosis." A school psychologist is not qualified to diagnose ADHD, depression or anxiety. A REGISTERED PSYCHOLOGIST is. School psychologists are only registered or certified to work in the schools, and have restrictions on the scope of their practice registered psychologists do not. But- many school psychologists are also registered psychologists. So check, and ask if, after the assessment, the psychologist would be able to provide a diagnosis of a disorder if one is present.

CADDAC continues: "In some limited cases, hospital clinics may do these tests as well, however long waiting lists and time restraints will apply here as well. As with a physician, it is important to do some research on the psychologists that will be doing your child's testing. The psychologist must be currently accredited and officially registered to make diagnoses and they should be familiar with testing for learning disabilities and ADHD. They should be prepared to produce a detailed report outlining all areas of difficulty as well as areas of strength without clustering everything into an ADHD diagnosis. It will be important that difficulties with executive functioning, processing, written output, sequencing, active working memory as well as long and short term memory be well documented. These are all areas that children with ADHD routinely have problems with and at the present time, a report that outlines these difficulties clearly will make it possible for your child or adolescent to receive a special needs designation from the school board. This designation will at least give you a basis on which to to advocate for classroom accommodations. At this time, a private psychoeducationalassessment roughly costs between $1500 and $2500.
TIP:  Private health insurance will usually cover psychological fees to a maximum of $500 a year. The assessment can sometimes be split over two years if done at the end of one year and the beginning of the next."

For more information on what CADDAC recommends in terms of assessment and services for ADHD go to their web page. Some videos and other information is available for children, adolescents and adults with ADHD. They also provide a listing of ADHD coaches in British Columbia and across Canada.


Key words
ADHD | ADHD coaching | workplace coaching | Anxiety and Stress | Autism and Asperger's Disorder | Individual Counselling | Child Therapy | Testing and Assessments and Learning Disabilities | Couples Counselling | Depression | The Angry Child | Anger Management | Pain Management and PTSD | Forensic Services | Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder | Vancouver | Burnaby | Coquitlam | New Westminster | Maple Ridge | Port Moody | Child Psychologist | Psychologist | Learning Disability | Assessment | Testing | Psycho-educational Assessment | Neuropsychological Assessment | Psychoeducational Testing 

How Much Does a Psychoeducational Assessment Cost?

How much should a Psychoeducational Assessment Cost?
Well, I hate to say this, but "it depends."

Not All Assessments are Alike
The exact nature of the Psychoeducational Assessment you need can be very different from case to case. This includes assessments because of in class behaviour such as aggression towards peers to a student who are struggling..and then the student who isn't doing work and seems bored and we suspect is really "gifted" and whose needs we are not meeting. And that's the issue we should be focusing on when it comes to psychoeducational assessments: what needs does any student have that need to be met for this student to be successful as they can be?

So any individual psychoeducational assessment may be very different. Let's first look at what usually is the same:

A common feature, if not a necessary feature, is a comparison of a students cognitive or intellectual abilities and their academic abilities. Usually this means administering a cognitive-intelligence test (this might be any of the following: The Cattell Culture Fair, Kohs block, Leiter International Performance Scale, Otis-Lennon School Ability Test, Raven's Progressive Matrices, Stanford-Binet IQ test, Wechsler Adult Intelligence Scale. Wechsler Intelligence Scale for Children, Wechsler Preschool and Primary Scale of Intelligence, the Wonderlic Test or the more recent and very popular Reynolds Intellectual Assessment Scale or RIAS). In addition to the intelligence test a test of academic skills is also administered (This might include anything from the Wechsler Individual Achievement Test to the Wide Range Achievement Test-4 or a any of several others).

The most common combinations are one of the Wechsler Tests of intelligence and a Wechsler test of academic skills, or the Reynolds (RIAS) and Wide Range Achievement Test.  The next step is usually to compare these scores and see if there is any reason to suspect a specific learning disability. This is done several ways, but is most often referred to as a "discrepancy analysis." The basic question is: Does the student work at an academic level we would expect, based upon their intelligence.

After this most basic analysis a psychoeducational assessment can go in several directions. If there are behavioural issues it might include testing for personality issues, anxiety, depression, or ADHD. One problem is that school psychologists are neither psychologists or doctors (usually ...some school psychologists here in BC actually are Registered Psychologists) and should not be diagnosing mental health disorders. They look for educational problems, often perform "coding" which is the process of classifying students for different types of services based upon ministry guidelines, and make suggestions for classroom supports. But they usually do not diagnose something like ADHD. You need your family medical do cot or a Registered Psychologist to do that.

If your wondering if your child has autism you need to have a specially trained medical doctor or Registered Psychologist perform a specialized examination using several tools that most psychologists and family doctors do not have training in, and simply don't own.

So to start usually we take a look at cognitive/intellectual ability and compare that to academic ability. From that we determine if there might be a specific learning disability. After that step other tests are usually used to look at specific areas of concern. This might include tests of reading, specific math skills (Key Math is one commonly used test), tests of pragmatic language, visual perceptual skills, auditory processing, balance, gait, motor skills and so on. So the initial phase of the assessment is only the beginning.

Each psychoeducational exam is different, or should be. Often the psychoeducational exam is just a starting point, and to understand the issues a student may also need an assessment by an occupational therapist and/or a speech pathologist. A medical examination should also have been administered to rule out medical reasons for the issues of concern.

So, when a parent asks me how much a psychoeducational examination will cost, I have to ask questions to determine what kind of psychoeducational examination we will be doing. Many parents tell me they are told by other professionals that "a psychoeducational assessment will cost $2,600." A straight forward price. But in reality, until we meet and look at the situation, we aren't sure. Sometimes a psychoeducational assessment isn't even appropriate until a child is seen by his or her medical doctor, an occupational therapist and a speech pathologist, so that other causes of academic difficulty are mistaken and misunderstood. This is why I personally suggest an initial meeting to gather information, history and concerns.

The cost of a psychoeducational exam? Well, it can range from $1,200 -$2,600. It depends. It depends on the situation, the information we need, the amount of testing and how cooperative and able the child is. One price does not fit all, and one "psychoeducational assessment" does not fit all. After an initial meeting we usually know, and together can shape a plan to fit your needs.

Finally, remember, your school should provide a psychoeducational exam....for free. Yes, there are sometimes long waiting lists. And sometimes a school psychologist can't make a diagnosis of a disorder such as ADHD (Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder) or Autism Spectrum Disorder. Some parents also prefer to have an outsider look at their child and give an opinion. All of these are reasons for looking outside the school for an assessment. (Psychoeducational Assessments are not covered by MSP, but most Extended Health Care Plans do provide some or complete coverage for an assessment).

Talk to your family doctor, your school psychologist and give a Registered Psychologist a call. All would be more than willing to talk to you about this subject. (Registered Clinical Counsellors are not qualified to complete Psychoeducational Assessments. An independent Psychoeducational Assessment must be completed by a Registered Psychologist.)

In my offices in Burnaby (serving Burnaby, Coquitlam, New Westminster, Port Moody, Port Coquitlam and Maple Ridge) and Vancouver (serving Vancouver, North Vancouver, West Vancouver and Richmond) I provide comprehensive psychoeducational assessments. I also provide diagnostic assessments for ADHD and Autism Spectrum Disorder). Please feel free to contact me if you have any questions about these services.

About Dr. Roche
My name is Dr. Jim Roche and I am a Registered Psychologist and a Registered Marriage and Family Therapist (RMFT) in British Columbia. In addition to my doctorate in clinical psychology, I hold a master's degree in family therapy, a certificate of advanced graduate studies (CAGS) in school and educational psychology from Norwich University, and have completed two years of post doctoral studies in neuro-psychology at The Fielding Institute in Santa Barbara, California. In addition to being a registered psychologist, I am a certified school psychologist, certified teacher of special education (New York and California), and a Clinical Member of the American Association of Marriage and Family Therapists (AAMFT). I also hold a doctoral degree in law with an emphasis in medical malpractice and education law. Beyond my academic credentials, I have completed two years of supervised clinical experience in both hospital and community based clinics and two years of post doctoral training in neuropsychology. I have served as director of behaviour programming for several school districts, as a consultant on autism for the province, and have held numerous academic positions including Clinical Instructor in Psychiatry at New York University and Bellevue Hospital in New York as well as being a faculty member at NYU, Brooklyn College, SUNY New Paltz, and Norwich University.
Key words
ADHD | ADHD coaching | workplace coaching | Anxiety and Stress | Autism and Asperger's Disorder | Individual Counselling | Child Therapy | Testing and Assessments and Learning Disabilities | Couples Counselling | Depression | The Angry Child | Anger Management | Pain Management and PTSD | Forensic Services | Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder | Vancouver | Burnaby | Coquitlam | New Westminster | Maple Ridge | Port Moody | Child Psychologist | Psychologist | Learning Disability | Assessment | Testing | Psycho-educational Assessment | Neuropsychological Assessment

Psychoeducational Assessments


I have just added a new pdf to my web page describing my psychoeducational services.  Please click here:


Here is the text:


Testing | Psychoeducational Assessments | Neuropsychological Assessments

Psychoeducational Assessments for learning disabilities, school or testing accommodations and IEP support

Neuropsychologcal Assessments and Testing for forensic, legal and workplace purposes
Autism | Developmental Assessments for autism funding and treatment planning (ACT Approved provider)
Comprehensive ADHD (Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder) Assessments and Diagnosis
Psychological, Educational (Psychoeducational), Neuropsychologcal, Developmental Assessments and Testing

Dr. Jim Roche brings his experience as a parent, psychologist, school psychologist, classroom teacher and provincial consultant and teacher trainer on child behaviour, classroom management to to each report, providing a unique and valuable perspective. He has worked with school districts for over 20 years providing assessments, training and consultation in British Columbia, California, New York and Europe. In addition to his training as a school psychologist and registered psychologist he has completed two years of post doctoral work in neuropsychology and training at the University of North Carolina with Dr. Mel Levine. (Minds of All Kinds)
Psychological and psychoeducational educational assessments are available for children, adolescents and adults. These assessments may be completed to assist with diagnostic questions, help in developing learning, treatment and intervention plans for school, or may be part of a forensic (legal) examination which might be addressing issues such as your ability to work or return to work, drive a car or sign legal documents.
As part of a psychoeducational or clinical assessment I review records, complete a detailed history, administer appropriate test instruments, confer with other members of your health team and then write a comprehensive report focused on developing an appropriate treatment plan or sometimes answering specific questions your doctor or lawyer may have asked.

The base fee for an educational evaluation, usually aimed at obtaining specific accommodations in the educational setting, is $2,400.00 CND  This covers the initial evaluation and a post-evaluation meeting to discuss the results with the student and family. A written report will be presented at that meeting and specific interventions are usually addressed at that time. Psychoeducational assessments are available in my Vancouver office (Vancouver, North Vancouver, West Vancouver and Richmond)as well as my Burnaby office (serving Burnaby, New Westminster, Coquitlam, Port Coquitlam, Port Moody and Maple Richmond).

For school purposes a shorter/brief psychoeducational screening can be performed, usually this takes four sessions. From this process we are able to write a letter and give specific rationales for requesting an appropriate evaluation be completed by the school. You should be aware, however, that school districts are taking excessive time in completing their assessments. We can discuss this alternative approach when you come in. I have provided psychoeducational assessments for many lower mainland districts including Burnaby, Vancouver, New Westminster, Coquitlam, Maple Ridge, Surrey, Langley, North Vancouver and West Vancouver. As a former classroom teacher, school psychologist and school behaviour management consultant I offer unique insight into how assessments and test results can be applied in the classroom by the teacher.

In addition to a psychoeducational evaluation being useful for accommodations, it is also often a key component used in developing a long term education plan (IEP or Individual Education Plan) for students. Many programs and supports require a psychoeducational assessment before a student can be considered for assistance. For adults an assessment may lead to a work plan as part of our return to work or coaching program. Attending an IEP meeting at the school or consultating with secondary institutions is done at an hourly rate of $175.00 plus travel and transportation expenses with a minimum of a 1/2 day billing.
Fee’s for a full Functional Behavioral Analysis are approximately $2,200.00 plus expenses related to meetings with the IEP committee or education hearing.

Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs)

Do you test adults?

Yes. Besides seeing children and adolescents for assessment of issues such as problems with academic classwork, on task behaviour, depression, anxiety or worries about a specific learning disabilities I also see adults. This may be for a psychoeducational assessment for college, or for other problems relating to your home or job. Adults are often seen for issues relating to diagnosis of depression, anxiety and often PTSD. Often family doctors want comprehensive assessments and a diagnosis to help made treatment and medication decisions. Sometimes these are work related assessments. I also complete ADHD/ADD assessments and help with follow-up monitoring when patients are receiving medications.  Other more comprehensive assessments and testing are often completed relating to ICBC and other work or legal claims. You can read more about those specialized services elsewhere on this website. As with children, adults are seen in both my Vancouver and Burnaby office.

Do you work with college age students?
Yes. I work extensively with students at the post-secondary level. Often this includes psychoeducational testing, educating the student about their strengths and weaknesses, and then developing a plan to address the academic (and sometimes social) problems they are having. Often this includes monthly follow-up and coaching, either in the office or by phone. UBC students often see me in my Vancouver office for psychoeducational assessments and learning advice. SFU students are seen in my Burnaby office, near the SFU famous in Burnaby for psychoeducational assessments.

How long will the evaluation or psychoeducational testing take?

The typical evaluation takes approximately six to eight hours, usually scheduled over two days.  Some students may require additional time to complete the testing to fit their work speed and need for breaks, or to gather additional test data to better understand their learning difficulties. Some materials are completed at home. Autism evaluations often require school and home observations as well.

What does the evaluation involve?
The psychoeducational evaluation includes a clinical interview, a battery of educational, psychological and cognitive tests to assess a student’s intellectual ability, academic achievement in core areas, (i.e., reading, math, and written language), strengths and weaknesses in processing information, and their emotional state. Often there is also a neuropsychological procedure or examination that requires performing a number of specific tasks.

What happens after the evaluation?

After the psychoeducational evaluation is complete each student is scheduled for an individual feedback session with me  (if appropriate).  The session typically lasts from one to two hours.  In this session I will review the test results, make recommendations for academic accommodations and other support services, and answer any questions. The parents or student may bring anyone to the session.  All feedback sessions can be audio taped/recorded so that the student and family can take home a recording of the discussion to listen to again or share with others.

Following the feedback, where appropriate, the student will receive a written report that describes all the tests that were administered and the scores obtained.  This report will also document the presence of any disability that warrants academic accommodation and list appropriate accommodations and other recommendations.  This report will not be shared with anyone else without the student’s or parent’s written permission.
Team Psychoeducational/Neurodevelopmental Evaluations
Most evaluations are completed by myself, a registered psychologist, however, in some situations testing instruments may be administered by one of my clinical assistants. Each of my assistants is either a licensed/registered psychologist or school psychologist who has experience in this field. When appropriate some components of an evaluation are also done by other practitioners where I would like input from a related field of practice. For instance, a speech pathologist may complete part of an examination, or an occupational therapist. The team will then have a consultative meeting, review their results and I will review all records, complete an appropriate history, confer with outside members of your health team and write a comprehensive report focused on developing an appropriate treatment intervention plan.

What is a Functional Behavioural Analysis (FBA)?

A Functional Behaviour Analysis is an in-depth observation of a student’s behaviour in the school or home setting. This is a procedure often completed when there are complex questions about emotional or behavioural issues. These are often required by schools when students are classified with moderate or sever behavioural issues, a specific educational coding used by the Ministry of Education to determine placement and funding. They are often part of assessments for autism as well. Fee’s for a full Functional Behavioural Analysis are approximately $2,200.00 plus expenses related to travel, meetings with the IEP committee or attending educational hearings.

Can you do an assessment for autism (ASD)?

Assessments are available for diagnostic purposes relating to Autism, Asperger’s Disorder and related social cognitive deficits. (These assessments include using specific Ministry required tools: the ADOS and ADI-R) These evaluations involve several sessions and the addition of consultation with a speech pathologist and medical doctor for children under six in order to meet the stringent guidelines set forth by the Ministry. Usually the cost of these examinations is $2,600.00

What kind of payments do you accept?
Methods of payment include: Cash, check, or money order. Payments by credit card need to be made on-line and you can contact me directly about that. Payment is expected prior to the actual assessment. Because several hours are scheduled for the assessment, 48 hours notice are necessary if the assessment session is to be cancelled. A 50% per hour fee is charged for cancelled evaluation time when less than 48 hours notice is given.

Do you accept insurance?
I do not file for insurance payments, but I will provide you with the necessary documentation so that they may file with your insurance carrier after you have made full payment.

What about third party payments (e.g., Department of Rehabilitation Services, WorkSafe BC or Blue Cross)?
The client must supply the psychologist with an official letter (on letterhead), or a voucher from the third party, giving promise of payment and detailed payment information. In most situations payment is expected in full prior to any assessment.
How long does it take to get an appointment?
It usually takes three to six weeks to arrange an appointment and begin the assessment process. However, please call, as cancellations can provide a opening sooner. (Dr. Jim Roche @ 778.998-7975).
More information on Dr. Roche and his services can be found below:
Psychological services (including assessment, testing and therapy) provided in my offices include (covered by most extended health care insurance):
ADHD (click here:

Anxiety and Stress (click here: )

Autism and Asperger’s Disorder (Click here:

Individual Counselling (click here:

Child Counselling / Therapy (click here:

Couples Counselling / Therapy (click here:
The Angry Child (click here:
Anger Management (Click here:
Pain Management and PTSD (Click here: )
Forensic Services (Independent Medical Examinations or IME)
About Dr. Roche
I am a Registered Psychologist and a Registered Marriage and Family Therapist (RMFT) in British Columbia. In addition to my doctorate in clinical Psychology (The Union of Experimenting Universities), I hold a master’s degree in family therapy from Goddard college, a certificate of advanced graduate studies (CAGS) in school and educational psychology from Norwich University, and have completed two years of post doctoral studies in neuro-psychology at The Fielding Institute in Santa Barbara, California. I am also a certified school psychologist, certified teacher of special education (New York and California), and a Clinical Member of the American Association of Marriage and Family Therapists (AAMFT). Finally, I hold a doctoral degree in law (JD) with an emphasis in medical malpractice and education law. Beyond my academic credentials, I have completed two years of supervised clinical experience in both hospital and community based clinics and two years of post doctoral training in neuropsychology. I have served as director of behaviour programming for several school districts, as a consultant on autism for the province, and have held numerous academic positions including Clinical Instructor in Psychiatry at New York University and Bellevue Hospital in New York as well as being a faculty member at NYU, Brooklyn College, SUNY New Paltz, and Norwich University.
My offices in Burnaby and Vancouver serve Burnaby, Vancouver, Coquitlam, Port Moody, Port Coquitlam, New Westminster and Maple Ridge. Clients often come to my Vancouver office from North Vancouver, West Vancouver and even as far as the Sunshine Coast. For more information on the location of my Burnaby and Vancouver offices, please see my “Office Location” page, which contains a Google map.
Key Words

ADHD | Anxiety and Stress | Autism and Asperger’s Disorder | Individual Counselling | Child Therapy | Testing and Assessments and Learning Disabilities | Couples Counselling | Depression | The Angry Child | Anger Management | Pain Management and PTSD | Forensic Services | Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder | Vancouver | Burnaby | Coquitlam | New Westminster | Maple Ridge | Port Moody | Child Psychologist | Psychologist | Learning Disability | Assessment | Testing | Psychoeducational Assessment | Neuropsychological Assessment